The loan-to-value (LTV) ratio is the amount a borrower can borrow from a lender compared to the appraised value of the property that he or she wants to buy. The LTV determines the amount of a down payment a borrower has to supply from his own pocket to invest in the property.
Loan-to-Value ratio = Mortgage amount ∕Appraised value of the property.
For example, if the lender offers a loan at a 90% loan-to-value ratio, the borrower must supply 10% of the total cost of the purchase. In a fix-n-flip loan the same is true, the lender that supplies up to 90% (for example) of the home purchase price, requires the borrower to provide the other 10% of the price.
The Coronavirus pandemic has changed things rapidly including the market value of homes, thus affecting the LTV ratios lenders depend on. Please call for the most up-to-date loan-to-value ratios on our loans for your upcoming projects. 512-213-2271
If a borrower defaults on a home loan, which is more likely to happen if they do not have much of their own money in the home, the lender takes back the home and sells it to get back the money they lent. Market fluctuations can cause lenders to lose money if the value of a house goes down and the borrower defaults on the loan. The value of the home may be less the amount of the loan. The coronavirus pandemic may make home prices goes down, but that is not certain and may not be true in all locations.
If the borrower had equity in the home and defaults, then the borrower loses the equity they have in the home because the lender takes the property and sells it to recoup their investment and expenses as quickly as possible.
Equity is the amount of money that would be returned to homeowner if the asset is liquidated (sold) and all debts are paid off. It is in a home owner’s best interest to sell a home before they default on a loan and pay the loan off if possible both so they can get their equity out of the home and so that they can keep their credit history in good shape.
FICO Score Requirements
The FICO score required on loans relates to the buyer’s credit history. It reflects how often they have been late or defaulted on loans in the past. Before the coronavirus pandemic set our lives, marketplace, and economy into a spin, REI Capital Resources required a FICO score of 650 on a hard money loan with a term of up to 24 months. Many people have lost their jobs and their credit scores have suffered. Watching the unemployment rate go up, lenders across the country have tightened up their FICO requirements and these requirements are changing daily. Please call me for our latest FICO requirements. 512-213-2271.
Selling to Avoid Foreclosure
Owners in default or facing default will sometimes take less than the market value for a house to avoid foreclosure. They may settle for only getting part of their equity back, reasoning that some is better than none. None is what they will get if they go into foreclosure and the lender takes back the property and sells it for the balance owed on the loan. The borrower may even give up all their equity to sell the house before defaulting to keep their credit history intact and their FICO scores high.
The distressed homeowner’s situation becomes the buyer’s opportunity. The homeowner needs help to retain their high FICO score and some equity, and the fix-n-flip buyer needs to purchase a property for the lowest price. It can be a win-win deal.
As a direct lender, it is my job to help you get a purchase and rehab loan as quickly and as easily as possible. The perfect fit is still out there. Call me though for the most up-to-date information.
I am working online with the rest of you. If you need funding, fill out the BLN application at http://reicapital.blnsoftware.com/ or send me an e-mail or give me a call.
W – 512-213-2271
M – 505-239-3026